Tern Bicycles designed for everyday use
Tern Bicycles, launched in 2011, designs and manufactures portable bikes for urban transport and everyday use. One of the main goals of the company is to encourage greater use of bicycles in combination with an existing public transport infrastructure throughout the world.
Tern’s philosophy is based on safety, comfort, convenience, and portability. Therefore the bikes are designed with high quality frames and components for ambitious riders, following the slogan that bikes have to work great when unfolded.
Tern is made up by a respected team of bicycle professionals, a diverse mix of personalities and experiences united by a passion for cycling. Tern Bicycles is headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan, with subsidiary companies in the United States and China.
Tern also has team members working in satellite offices in the USA, China, Finland, UK, Germany and Switzerland.
Tern currently offers a line-up of 25+ bicycles, within a wide range of usage and pricing, as well as a number of unique accessories for its various bicycle models.
inMotion mar.com is your EU contact for Tern Bicycles concerning PR, media services and marketing.
For current and past press releases, picture or test sample material, please contact us and/or
our download section, or visit www.ternbicycles.com/news/releases.
For more information please visit: www.ternbicycles.com.
Clubhouse Fort – modular accessories for Kids and Cargo on the GSDUrban mobility specialist Tern launches a new modular system of accessories to carry passengers or cargo on the recently upgraded GSD.
- Press Release 2020 - Tern Clubhouse Fort - Modular Accessory System for the GSD (pdf, 1 MB)
- Press release 2020 - Tern Clubhouse Fort - Modular Accessory System for the GSD (plain, 3 KB)
Tern Upgrades Best-Selling Vektron E-BikeUrban mobility specialist Tern has upgraded its Vektron folding e-bike lineup. The changes include more powerful Bosch drivetrains, updates to the frame, components, and color options — all while maintaining similar price points.
- Product Info 2020 - Tern Upgrades Best-Selling Vektron E-Bike (pdf, 318 KB)
- Product Info 2020 - Tern Upgrades Best-Selling Vektron E-Bike (plain, 3 KB)
Still Small, Even More Useful: The new Tern GSDUrban mobility specialist Tern has updated its best-selling electric cargo bike. The new GSD pushes boundaries even further and will help even more families and businesses transition to sustainable mobility.
- Product Info 2020 - The new Tern GSD (pdf, 868 KB)
- Product Info 2020 - The new Tern GSD (plain, 5 KB)
A Whole New Way to Fold a Bike – Tern Launches the Ultra-Compact BYBThe Tern BYB transforms into a small and slim package with one of the smallest folded footprints on the market—but still offers a surprisingly solid ride.
- PRESS RELEASE 2019 - A Whole New Way to Fold a Bike - Tern Launches the Ultra-Compact BYB (pdf, 455 KB)
- PRESS RELEASE 2019 - A Whole New Way to Fold a Bike - Tern Launches the Ultra-Compact BYB (plain, 6 KB)
Tern and Carla Cargo trailers – the perfect match for heavy loadsUrban mobility specialist Tern and Carla Cargo's heavy-duty
cargo trailers - the perfect match for commercial customers looking for clean
- Tern GSD and Carla Cargo Trailers (pdf, 2 MB)
- Tern GSD and Carla Cargo Trailers (plain, 3 KB)
Tern and EFBE Prüftechnik Team Up For Cargo Bike TestingUrban mobility specialist, Tern, announced that its GSD and HSD electric bikes are among the first to pass, and even exceed, rigorous new German cargo bike testing standards.
- Tern and EFBE Prüftechnik Team Up (pdf, 369 KB)
- Tern and EFBE Prüftechnik Team Up (plain, 4 KB)
Tern donates 5 GSD bikes to Non-Profit OrganizationsUrban mobility specialist Tern is pleased to share the results of the first GSD Giveaway. Tern selected five inspiring non-profit organizations to receive GSDs to help with daily operations.
- Tern: "GSD Giveaway" Winners announced (pdf, 823 KB)
- Tern: "GSD Giveaway" Winners announced (plain, 4 KB)
Tern and Deliveroo to Test GSD for On-Demand DeliveryUrban transportation specialist Tern, and award-winning delivery service Deliveroo, have announced plans for on-demand deliveries with the Tern GSD. Designed for heavy-duty applications, the Bosch-powered GSD is a compact utility ebike capable of handling up to 400 lb of cargo.
- Tern and Deliveroo to Test GSD (pdf, 134 KB)
- Tern and Deliveroo to Test GSD (plain, 2 KB)
Tern Launches Upgraded GSD Compact Utility eBikeUrban transportation specialist Tern launched a second GSD model equipped with the most sought-after features, including a Bosch Performance Line CX motor, an enviolo cargo hub, and a 500 Wh or 1000 Wh battery configuration.
- Tern Launches Upgraded GSD (pdf, 329 KB)
- Tern Launches Upgraded GSD (plain, 3 KB)
Tern Upgrades Vektron Folding eBike LineUrban transportation specialist Tern announced an upgrade to its Vektron folding ebike lineup, with three new models. The new Vektron is equipped with the latest Bosch drive system, gets a re-worked frame and riding geometry, and is equipped with an ultra-robust rack that follows the lineage of the heavy-duty Tern GSD.
- Tern Upgrades Vektron Folding eBike (pdf, 243 KB)
- Tern Upgrades Vektron Folding eBike (plain, 3 KB)
Tern Joins Bosch for eBike Launch at Tokyo Motor ShowTern is partnering with Bosch eBike Systems to enter the Japan market with the next-generation of Bosch eBike technology, showcased on an all-new folding e-bike. The concept bike is being presented at the Tokyo Motor Show. The event marks Tern’s entry into the Japan e-bike market. Likewise, Japan marks Bosch’s first e-bike market in Asia.
- Tern Joins Bosch at Tokyo Motor Show (pdf, 318 KB)
- Tern Joins Bosch at Tokyo Motor Show (plain, 2 KB)
The GSD – a compact utility ebike that fits the whole familyThe GSD is an ebike that defines a new category: ‘compact utility’. The GSD is designed to carry two kids, a week’s worth of groceries, or 180 kg of total weight, but it’s only 180 cm long—shorter than a Dutch city bike.
- The GSD - the compact utility ebike (pdf, 942 KB)
- The GSD - the compact utility ebike (plain, 7 KB)
Tern Begins Delivery of Kickstarted Bosch Electric Bikes Through Local US-DealersTern has delivered the first batch of Vektron electric folding bikes to Kickstarter backers across the United States. After the resounding success of last October’s campaign, Tern is working through its US dealer network to handle delivery, after-sales support, and customer service for the new Bosch powered bikes.
- Delivery of Kickstarted Vektron begins (pdf, 142 KB)
- Delivery of Kickstarted Vektron begins (plain, 3 KB)
Small bikes on bigger wheelsFeaturing 451 (22”) wheels, new T-Tuned geometry, and the latest 1X (“one-by”) drivetrains should make these bikes some of the best-riding small-wheeled bikes available.
- New 451 Verge bikes on 22” wheels (pdf, 243 KB)
- New 451 Verge bikes on 22” wheels (plain, 3 KB)
Tern launches the VektronUrban transportation specialists Tern Bicycles and leading electric drivetrain manufacturer Bosch are collaborating to create a compact and powerful folding e-bike. The best-in-class Tern Vektron promises to accelerate urban mobility as it can be rolled easily even when it’s folded.
- Tern Launches the Vektron (pdf, 379 KB)
- Tern Launches the Vektron (plain, 3 KB)
Stand for the PlanetTern will be hosting a sales event on January 20 and donating 100% of its profits to the National Resources Defense Council, a US based organization that is fighting to protect our planet’s resources.
- Stand for the Planet on Jan 20 (pdf, 292 KB)
Tern Launches Vektron on KickstarterTern Launches Bosch-Powered Folding Electric Bike on Kickstarter. The technology leader in folding comes together with the market leader in electric bikes.
- Tern launches Vektron on Kickstarter (pdf, 239 KB)
- Tern launches Vektron on Kickstarter (plain, 4 KB)
Tern Vizy™ Light – Shine a light on meThe rear light projects 360° of radial 60-lumen light on the ground around a bike, creating a bright circle of protection to safeguard riders in low visibility situations. The Vizy Light’s halo provides a clear signal for road users to pass at a safe distance, and illuminates riders’ bodies, so drivers can react accordingly.
- Safety in the dark - Radically Reinvented (pdf, 208 KB)
- Safety in the dark - Radically Reinvented (plain, 1 KB)
Tern Bicycles celebrates 5th birthdayTern celebrates five years of banner growth and charts new courses of future development, including a folding Bosch eBike. “It’s been an amazing journey so far” says Josh Hon, Founder and Team Captain of Tern. “We’re proud to help grow urban cycling."
- Tern celebrates 5th anniversary (pdf, 227 KB)
- Tern celebrates 5th anniversary (plain, 3 KB)
Tern Takes Home d&i Award For Cargo NodeTern Bicycles have been honoured with a Taipei Cycle d&i award for the Tern Cargo Node. After the success of the Cargo Node's Kickstarter product launch, the award marks another testament to Tern's innovation in urban transportation.
- d&i Award For Cargo Node (pdf, 156 KB)
- d&i Award For Cargo Node (plain, 2 KB)
Tern Receives Trio of Taiwan Excellence AwardsTern Bicycles have been recognized by Taiwan’s Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) with a trio of Taiwan Excellence Awards for innovation and leadership in product design. Tern received the prestigious awards for two bicycles, the Verge Tour and the Verge X20, and one accessory, the space-saving wall mount, the Tern Perch.
- Tern Receives Taiwan Excellence Awards (pdf, 210 KB)
- Tern Receives Taiwan Excellence Awards (plain, 3 KB)
Cargo Node: Establishing new product category with KickstarterTern and Xtracycle, world leaders in folding-bike and cargo-bike design, partnered this fall to successfully crowdfund a full-sized folding cargo-bike on Kickstarter. Their project, the Cargo Node, raised over $150,000 USD from supporters across three continents.
- Cargo Node successful on Kickstarter (pdf, 590 KB)
- Cargo Node successful on Kickstarter (plain, 3 KB)
The Tern Cargo Carrying EcosystemUrban transport specialist Tern has solidified its leadership as an urban transportation company by designing versatile racks and bags for its bikes. New accessories round out Tern’s offering.
- Tern Cargo Carrying Ecosystem (pdf, 471 KB)
- Tern Cargo Carrying Ecosystem (plain, 6 KB)
Tern Cargo Node on KickstarterTern and Xtracycle, pioneering inventor and leading designer of longtail cargo bikes, are teaming up to Kickstart the world’s most useful tool for car-free living: a full sized cargo bike that folds to 1/3rd its size—the Tern Cargo Node.
- Tern Cargo Node on Kickstarter (pdf, 2 MB)
- Tern Cargo Node on Kickstarter (plain, 5 KB)
Tern Node Family Redesigned for City-RidingTern’s redesigned Node line was created for people who love cycling in cities. The new Nodes are built to be cargo capable, comfortable, and ready for contingencies, like rain and darkness.
- Tern New Node Bikes (pdf, 2 MB)
- Tern New Node Bikes (plain, 2 KB)
Tern Announces the World’s Fastest Folding-Bike and a Gates Belt-Drive Bicycle.With the Eclipse X22, the world’s fastest folding-bike, and the Verge S8i, the world’s most versatile ultra low-maintenance folding bike, Tern deftly brings cutting-edge technology from the bike industry at large to the heart of folding bike design.
- Tern Eclipse X22 - Kinetix - Verge S8i (pdf, 855 KB)
Tern Verge tourUrban transport specialist, Tern, introduced the Verge tour as the latest addition to its award-winning Verge lineup. The Verge tour carries rider and load with sure-footed confidence whether treking over 3K passes or riding to a local market. Designed in partnership with velowerk of Switzerland, the Verge tour stands out from head to toe. Find more information in the Press Release.
- Tern Verge tour (pdf, 109 KB)
- Tern Verge tour (plain, 3 KB)
will.i.am and The Coca-Cola Company Invite Tern to Join the EKOCYCLE™ Brand Movementrban transport specialist Tern today announced two limited-edition folding bicycles created for EKOCYCLE™, an initiative championed by The Coca-Cola Company and global music artist and entrepreneur will.i.am.
- 2015 - Tern Bikes for EKOCYCLE (pdf, 179 KB)
- 2015 - Tern Bikes for EKOCYCLE (plain, 3 KB)
Tern Captures Trio of Design Awards from 2015 d&i and iF CompetitionsUrban transport specialist Tern today announced that the company has taken a trio of awards in 2015 design competitions. The Verge X18 bike and Kinetix Pro X Wheels each won 2015 Taipei Cycle d&i awards and the Tern Perch wall mount received a prestigious 2015 iF award.
- 2015 Tern d&i - iF Awards (pdf, 162 KB)
- 2015 Tern d&i - iF Awards (plain, 4 KB)
NEW DISTRIBUTION PARTNERSTern today announced new distribution partnerships in Japan, Greece and Turkey, bringing Tern distribution to 65 countries worldwide. Please find further information in the press release.
- 2015 Tern - New Distribution Partners (pdf, 296 KB)
- 2015 Tern - New Distribution Partners (plain, 2 KB)
Tern Public transport projects now in 10 German cities and regionsTern announced partnerships with four new public transit authorities in Germany to encourage use of folding bicycles with public transport. The new regions are the Lake Constance area, the greater Frankfurt area, the city of Augsburg and the Rhine-Neckar-Region including Heidelberg. Tern transit authority partnerships now cover 10 major cities and regions and reach over 30% of the nearly 10 billion annual passengers throughout Germany. Please find further information in the press release.
- Public transport projects in 10 German cities and regions (pdf, 458 KB)
- Public transport projects in 10 German cities and regions (plain, 3 KB)
Tern and car2go Team for 21st Century MobilityTern announced a partnership with car2go, Europe’s leading carsharing service. The program brings together car2go’s Smart Fortwo Coupés and Tern bikes to offer a flexible and environmentally-friendly alternative for urban mobility. Find further information in the attached Press Release.
- Tern and car2go Team for 21st Century Mobility in Italian Cities (pdf, 520 KB)
- Tern and car2go Team for 21st Century Mobility in Italian Cities (plain, 2 KB)
The Perch™ wall mount is a simple but robust system for storing bikes inside a house or apartment. As cycling takes root in the urban lifestyle, intelligent bike storage solutions are increasingly important. The Perch saves space and gets your bike out of the hallway. Please find further information in the Press Release.
- Tern Perch Bicycle Wall Mount (pdf, 258 KB)
- Tern Perch Bicycle Wall Mount (plain, 2 KB)
Tern models 2014
In its fourth year the young Tern brand defines urban mobility at its highest level and contributes to global sustainable mobility. The 2014 model line-up reflects this with 25 models on 7 distinctly different platforms. The current range includes fully-equipped city bikes as well as sportive racing bikes, touring bikes and low step through models. Please find further information in the attachment.
- 2014 Tern models (pdf, 2 MB)
- 2014 Tern models (plain, 9 KB)
The FlightSuit turns off-the-shelf suitcase into a cost-effective alternative to a dedicated bike travel case which makes it to an innovative solution for packing bikes to airline travel. The FlightSuit includes a set includes a set of high-quality protective covers. Find further information in the enclosed Press Release.
- Tern FlightSuit (pdf, 212 KB)
- Tern FlightSuit (plain, 2 KB)
Investment for Tern
Urban transport specialist, Tern, today announced that it has closed a US$ 4.3 million round of investment from private investors. The funds will be used to accelerate global expansion as well as to ramp up investments in product development. Please find further information in the attached Press Release.
- Tern Gets Investment (pdf, 507 KB)
- Tern Gets Investment (plain, 1 KB)
Tern launches Node Platform
The Node platform of Tern is designed around the 507 mm (24'') wheel size. Node bikes deliver the ride quality of a full-size bike while still packing small for convenient transport and storage. The Node bikes combine a big bike handling with a small-wheel fold. Please find further information in the Press Release.
- Tern Launches Node Platform (pdf, 394 KB)
- Tern Launches Node Platform (plain, 2 KB)
Tern Eclipse S18
When you say the word ‘folding bike’ most people think of small wheels, flexy handling, poor riding geometry, and lots of compromises — especially for taller people. But with the Eclipse S18 urban transport specialist Tern set out to design a bike for the hardest-of-the-hard urban riders — the kind of people who ride through rain or snow, who have seriously under-funded local road repairs, or who haul their recycling by bike. Find more in the Press Release.
- Tern Eclipse S18 (pdf, 365 KB)
- Tern Eclipse S18 (plain, 3 KB)
Verge S11i and Physis 3D handlepost win Taipei Cycle d&i awards
The folding bike Verge S11i and Physis 3D handlepost have both been awarded a 2013 Taipei Cycle Design & Innovation (d&i) Award. Please find further information about the products and the d&i Award in the Press Release.
- Tern wins d&i awards (pdf, 367 KB)
- Tern wins d&i awards (plain, 2 KB)